A strange odor coming from an elementary school in Dilley, Texas now has several parents concerned for their children’s safety. After following the trail of the funny smell, parents noticed an asbestos warning sign placed on a dumpster, located in the parking lot of Dilley Elementary School. Many parents claim they were never warned about asbestos in the school.
According to San Antonio’s Kens 5 News, a portion of Dilley Elementary School is slated to be demolished soon. School officials claim that they warned parents last year about the school demolition project, yet numerous parents state that they were never told asbestos would be involved. Consequently, they’ve taken to social media and contacted local news stations to express their worry and frustration.
“Should we get masks for our kids, should we not send them to school?” said a concerned parent. “My daughter has asthma, that was the first main concern I had when I read lungs and respiratory.”
Many schools throughout the nation that were built prior to the 1980s, were constructed with asbestos and asbestos-containing materials (ACMs). A lot of these schools are still in use today, such as Dilley Elementary School.
However, the Dilley ISD Superintendent claims there is no need to worry, and that the asbestos will be contained and is not dangerous. In fact, a letter was sent out this week to concerned parents in an attempt to ease their worries.
“The air that is exiting the buildings will have a smell, but the abatement company has filtered the air through three filters, these filters are replaced every four hours.” the statement read.
Yet, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there is no safe level of asbestos exposure. Although most cases of mesothelioma and asbestosis stem from long-term asbestos fibers ingestion, there is always a chance that just a small amount of asbestos contact can result in serious, life-threatening diseases.
Children At a Heightened Risk For Asbestos Exposure
Children, in particular, may be a heightened risk. The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) suggests that since children have more time for asbestos exposure, they are at a much higher risk of developing an asbestos-related disease when compared to adults. Other studies suggest that since children breathe faster than adults, they have a heightened risk of inhaling asbestos fibers.
Asbestos fibers are clear, odorless, and cannot be detected by the human eye. Inhalation can happen anytime anyone is around airborne asbestos fibers, and once these fibers enter the body, it’s impossible for all of them to dispel. Over time, asbestos fibers begin to damage the body’s organs.
Meanwhile, however, the superintendent is willing to talk to any and all concerned parents and citizens regarding the elementary school’s project.
“Our certified asbestos company that is doing the removal has assured us that it is nontoxic,” said the superintendent.
Keep in mind that if you or a loved one have been diagnosed with an asbestos-related illness, you may be qualified for considerable compensation. Our dedicated team of mesothelioma attorneys have helped numerous families win the damages they’re entitled to. For more information, we invite you to contact our experienced mesothelioma law firm today. We offer a free, confidential case consultation and will be happy to answer any questions you have.