A Midland man who worked for 4 decades as a driving teacher died because of his exposure to toxic asbestos fibres which occurred during his former job in the 1960s.
Harvey B Eggerton was exposed to deadly asbestos dust while he was working for George Stubbings construction firm as a carpenter, a recent inquest was told. Eggerton, a Sutton Rd (Walsall) resident, succumbed to his bronchopneumonia – which he developed because of his malignant mesothelioma – on 23rd November after experiencing a sudden deterioration, according to Robin J Balmain, the coroner for Black Country. Walsall was 64 years old.
Eggerton was treated at Saint Giles Hospice. The support staff at the hospital encouraged him to file a compensation claim. Eggerton filed a suit and succeeded. He won £26,000 in compensation for his industrial injuries, in addition to disability living allowance.
According to Eggerton’s wife, her husband started suffering shortness of breath in 2012. He consulted a doctor and was diagnosed with the asbestos-related cancer last February. Mesothelioma, a deadly cancer of the mesothelium, ultimately took his life on 23rd November, 2013.
Coroner Balmain said a post mortem was not necessary as the biopsy itself was a sufficient proof. Balmain said that plenty of evidence was there that Mr. Eggerton died from an industrial illness.
Mesothelioma is the cancer of mesothelial cells. It is a cancer which typically begins in the protective covering of the lungs. This type of mesothelioma is known as pleural mesothelioma. When it begins in the abdomen, it is called peritoneal mesothelioma.
Asbestos exposure is the only cause for mesothelioma and therefore this cancer is indeed preventable. Prevention is extremely important because there is no known cure for this cancer. In most cases, mesothelioma patients die within a year after their diagnosis.
The risk of developing mesothelioma increases simultaneously with the increase in the amount of asbestos exposure. Generally, short term high level exposure and long term trivial exposure both could result in malignant mesothelioma. However, even small exposure for a short duration also can be dangerous at times. There is no safe level of exposure to asbestos fibres.
In most cases, first hand (direct) exposure to asbestos is the cause for mesothelioma. However, second hand exposure also is dangerous. Several people have developed this deadly cancer due to their exposure to asbestos fibres through the overalls of any of their family members.