Illinois – Madison County jurors heard the testimony of a malignant mesothelioma victim on Friday, which was a video that had been recorded some months prior to his death.
A court trial is ongoing in the court of Associate Judge Hon. Stephen Stobbs in a lawsuit filed by Mr. Tom King. King, a Tennessee resident, had served in the United States Navy between 1959 and 1969. He died from malignant mesothelioma on 23rd May, 2013 when he was 71 years old. Prior to his tragic death, his disposition was recorded by attorneys on 27th and 28th February, 2013.
Brothers Brian King and Tom King Jr. are moving ahead the legal fight now on behalf of their deceased father.
Crane Company, the firm that supplied the United States Navy with mechanical valves and gaskets; and John Crane Co, the company which allegedly designed and manufactured mechanical seals; are the only remaining defendants at the trial. The original lawsuit had named 119 companies as defendants. However, other companies settled the issue out of court.
King was serving the Navy as a machinist from 1959 until 1962 and then from 1965 until 1969, according to the suit. During his employment, he served on the USS Hollister, USS Tallahatchie County and USS Forrestal, the suit states.
King started his career as a Rank E3 fireman on the USS Forrestal and then became a machinist. His career with the United States Navy was ended in year 1969. According to the suit, he worked mainly in the engine rooms of the ship, but worked in other areas of the vessel as well whenever necessary, the suit states.
During his job, he was exposed to high levels of asbestos fibers, the claimants say. As a result of this asbestos exposure, King Sr. developed malignant mesothelioma, a fatal tumor of the mesothelial cells. After fighting the disease for quite a few months, he finally died in 2013 February because mesothelioma is an incurable cancer.
The suit claimed that the defendant companies were legally responsible for the death of King Sr. The defendant companies failed to warn him regarding the consequences of continuous exposure to asbestos products, according to the suit. The suit also states that the defendants were aware of the hazards of asbestos exposure, but they failed to take any measures to protect the deceased from being exposed to their dangerous products which contained a cancer-causing mineral.