Edwardsville, IL – An Illinois man has filed a suit against a number of asbestos products’ manufacturers, alleging that the defendants exposed him to hazardous asbestos fibres and dust due to which he developed deadly lung cancer. The lawsuit was filed in St. Clair County Circuit Court.
Bernard Grams, the plaintiff, says he was diagnosed in 2012 May with terminal lung cancer. Grams filed his suit on 18th December. Barry Julian and Randy L Gori, attorneys with Illinois law firm ‘Gori Julian and Associates P.C.,’ is representing Bernard Grams in his legal fight against the asbestos companies.
In his lawsuit, Mr. Grams does not specify where he is residing. However, he mentions that he was working as a tree trimmer for Milwaukee City. He had worked for the Chain Belt Division of Rexnord in the 1950s, according to the suit.
The defendants allegedly failed to warn Bernard Grams regarding the risks involved in working with and close to asbestos products. He says he was not aware of the consequences of inhalation of asbestos fibres from the products made by the defendant companies. The lawsuit alleges that the defendants included asbestos in many of their products even though safe substitutes had been readily available. Additionally, the defendant companies negligently failed to carry out tests on the asbestos products that they manufactured, supplied, installed or used, the plaintiff alleges. Bernard Grams says it was essential for determining the dangers to the workers including him.
The suit further claims that the defendant companies were aware of, or should have known of the toxic, hazardous, and highly poisonous effects of their products and the consequences of inhaling, absorbing or ingesting asbestos fibers and dust. However, the companies negligently failed to provide proper warnings to the plaintiff and other workers, the lawsuit states. The suit accuses the defendant companies of several negligent acts. Bernard Grams was never provided with any sort of protective equipment to ensure that asbestos fibers are not inhaled, the lawsuit indicates.
Taking proper safety precautions, such as using respirators in order to avoid asbestos inhalation, is essential while dealing with or working close to asbestos or products containing asbestos because asbestos fibers could be breathed in easily. Asbestos inhalation could result in deadly diseases such as lung cancer and malignant mesothelioma.
Bernard Grams is asking for at least $50,000 in compensation.