The children of a deceased refinery worker have settled the asbestos exposure lawsuit they had filed against Union Oil of California and Chevron USA. The suit was moving toward a trial before United States District Judge Bob Wortham, of 58th District Court.
The family of deceased Barney Tarver was suing the companies, alleging that they exposed Mr. Tarver negligently to deadly asbestos fibres all through his employment. The lawsuit was filed by William Tarver, on behalf of the estate of Barney Tarver. It was filed in the Jefferson County Dist. Court on 6th March 2012.
According to court records, the parties in the case have filed a joint motion for dismissing the case on 17th May. The motion has been granted by 58th United States District Court Judge Hon. Bob Wortham on 12th June.
According to the lawsuit filed by Tarver’s children, the deceased was an employee at the Port Arthur Gulf Oil Refinery (Jefferson County). The plaintiffs alleged that Tarver was exposed regularly to the deadly fibers and dust of asbestos while he was working in that refinery. The lawsuit had not specified his employment dates. Because of everyday exposure to deadly asbestos fibres, Tarver developed an incurable cancer, known as malignant mesothelioma, and passed away on 27th January, 2012, according to the lawsuit.
The plaintiffs alleged that the defendant companies were negligent and they failed to warn Tarver and his colleagues regarding the hazards of exposure to asbestos. The suit was seeking exemplary as well as punitive damages. The plaintiffs were represented by Provost Umphrey lawyer D’Juanna Parks from Beaumont.
Malignant mesothelioma is a rare disease in which cancerous (malignant) cells are developed in the thin tissue layer which covers the lungs and lines chest cavity (pleura) or the thin tissue layer which lines the abdomen (peritoneum). Cancer that affects the pleura is known as pleural mesothelioma and that affects the peritoneum is called peritoneal mesothelioma. In general, mesothelioma can be defined as the cancer of the mesothelium, the membrane which lines the abdomen and chest and surrounds the entire organs in these areas. The cause of mesothelioma is asbestos exposure. Former construction workers, demolition workers, boiler makers, plumbers, electricians, ship builders, people who worked at places where asbestos was present are at the risk of developing asbestos-related diseases such as mesothelioma because once asbestos was very popular among the industries were these people worked. Asbestos-related diseases usually start showing symptoms 30 or 40 years after the exposure.