A former plumber’s bereaved widow is asking the deceased man’s colleagues to come forward for helping her fight for justice.
Charles Baker, who was a heating engineer and a plumber, passed away after developing an asbestos-linked cancer in January 2012 when he was 72 years old. Doctors confirmed that he died from mesothelioma, an incurable cancer of the lungs’ lining. Mesothelioma is developed because of inhalation of asbestos fibers and dust. Baker allegedly inhaled the toxic dust while working with TA King & Son, in Sandridge Rd, St. Albans.
Baker died just 9 months after he was diagnosed with the cancer. Now his wife Mrs. Shirley Baker, is requesting the help of her husband’s former colleagues to explain how he inhaled the dangerous fibres from 1955 to 1966.
“During his job, Charles came in interaction with the dangerous mineral on a regular basis. His work was dusty and dirty. Baker told they never warned him regarding the hazardous nature of asbestos and never provided him with any sort of protective wears or mask in order to prevent him from inhaling the toxic fibers,” Mrs. Baker said.
“Charles worked with a lot of people and in so many different buildings in Hertfordshire and St Albans. I am sure that many people are there who are able to help me,” She said.
Baker has 2 grandchildren. He was residing in Lowestoft, Suffolk in 2011 when he became ill. He felt chest pains and initial tests could not find any serious issues. However, subsequent checkups confirmed that he had developed malignant mesothelioma, a deadly cancer of the mesothelium.
Following his death, Mrs. Baker consulted with some attorneys to help find out if TA King & Son could’ve done more for protecting her husband from exposure to asbestos.
The distressed widow says her husband had told her that he had been regularly exposed to asbestos during his ten-year career at TA King & Son as he had to chip off asbestos lagging using a chisel or hammer and blend asbestos paste for lagging pipes and boilers. She says he specifically recalled his works at Saint Michael’s Manor, Saint Albans Abbey, Hill End Psychiatric Hospital, and Saint Albans City Hospital.
Mesothelioma usually appears several decades after the inhalation of asbestos fibers. However, it typically kills the victim within 15 months once appeared. A permanent cure is yet to be discovered for mesothelioma.