For Immediate Assistance Call 1-800-966-2244
Mesothelioma News

Portland Residents Sue Over Mesothelioma Risk Following Asbestos Exposure

When Shana Maurer learned that the apartment where she lived and worked had been contaminated with asbestos and the landlord had done nothing to warn residents, one of her first thoughts was of malignant mesothelioma and other asbestos-related diseases. Now the young woman has filed a class-action lawsuit against Commons at Sylvan Highlands, accusing them of failure to disclose that the luxury apartment units contained a significant health hazard.

The class action lawsuit Maurer filed is focused on concerns about mesothelioma and other illnesses, and it is not the first to be filed against the company. She learned about the problem from another employee who was fired after learning of the asbestos contamination, and who is now party to a $40 million wrongful termination lawsuit accusing the company of firing her and another employee to prevent them from reporting the contamination. The presence of asbestos was discovered in early May during a renovation project. Maurer, who both lived and worked in the complex, says that the landlord engaged in a coverup to keep residents and the government from learning about the problem. She relates her own conversation with her manager, saying, “I told my manager, ‘listen, I’m aware that there is asbestos’ and he gave me a very rehearsed, ‘well, asbestos is dormant if it’s contained. They didn’t say anything to any residents. No one currently employed said anything to me.”

Where the employee lawsuit cites retaliation and the coverup, Maurer is concerned about mesothelioma and the failure to let people know about the danger that exists, saying, “As if there was nothing going on. As if there was nothing in the air that could kill them. I could possibly have something, and it won’t show up for 10 to 20 years. People shouldn’t live there. People shouldn’t bring their families in there.”

Exposure to asbestos is the single proven source of malignant mesothelioma, and it is most frequently caused by negligence. If you or someone you love has been affected by asbestos exposure and you need help, contact us today at  1-800-966-2244.

Author: Terri Oppenheimer

Terri Oppenheimer

Terri Oppenheimer is an independent writer, editor, and proofreader. She graduated from the College of William and Mary with a degree in English. Her dreams of a writing career were diverted by a need to pay her bills. She spent a few years providing the copy for a major retailer, then landed a lucrative career in advertising sales. With college bills for all three of her kids paid, she left corporate America for a return to her original goal of writing. She specializes in providing content for websites and finds tremendous enjoyment in the things she learns while doing her research. Her specific areas of interest include health and fitness, medical research, and the law.