A young family’s attempts to save money on a home renovation project may lead to sleepless nights ahead, as they recently learned that they and their young children were exposed to “a major asbestos spill” that could eventually lead to mesothelioma or other asbestos-related diseases.
The asbestos exposure, and its subsequent risk of mesothelioma, came after Chris and Natasha Mitchell posted on Facebook that they were looking for a handyman to take down the popcorn ceiling in the kitchen of their 1972-built home in Littleton, Colorado. The low bid came from Jim Johnson of Jim’s Renovations, who told the company that no testing was required and that he was experienced in the work. When Natasha came home after the work was finished, she found “extra debris in rooms that weren’t having the ceilings scraped” and became alarmed. Testing by asbestos experts revealed that the home was entirely contaminated. The cleanup will cost approximately $25,000 to $30,000 and the family will need to throw away almost all of their belongings. Perhaps most importantly, the family will now have to monitor their health after extensive exposure to asbestos.
Speaking of the concern about mesothelioma, Mrs Mitchell says, “So the big this is it’s an expensive process to do it properly, but it’s your health and potentially your whole home. So, testing prior and don’t just do it yourself, make sure you hire the right company and check on the license.” In the state of Colorado, all jobs that hold the possibility of asbestos exposure require testing by a trained, certified General Abatement Contractor, and as it turns out, Jim’s renovations is neither licensed nor accredited by the Better Business Bureau. Now a family’s health has been put at risk, they face tens of thousands in expenses in order to return the lives to safety and normalcy, and the handyman’s company is being investigated by the state.
If you or someone you love has been sickened by asbestos exposure and you need legal guidance, we can help. Contact us today at 1-800-966-2244.